Thoughts, observations, ramblings..

Monday, March 06, 2006

Silver divorce in Japan

I was talking to someone the other day about marriage. She told me that hers was an arranged marriage, which was a surprise to me as she was quite young, in her late forties. I asked her how it had worked out and she said "Oh, next time I'll have a love marriage." I asked her what she meant by that and she said breezily "When I retire!".

So, a few days later, this article caught my eye on the BBC website :

Divorce rates surge on retirement as couples find they don’t know each other
"The divorce rate in Japan has risen by 26.5% in 10 years, according to the health ministry.

The number of divorces among couples married for 20 years or more hit 42,000 in 2004, double those recorded in 1985."

"Marriage guidance counsellors are warning newly retired couples not to spend extended amounts of time together - recommending day trips over cruises."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home